Podiatry is the health profession dedicated to the diagnosis, treatment, rehabilitation and prevention of medical and surgical conditions of the foot and lower limb. Podiatrists must be registered with the Podiatrists Registration Board.
Yes, if your child trips over a lot, complains of sore feet, knee pain or leg pain during or after activity, or complains that their shoes hurt. These are all signs that something is not right and the child should be professionally assessed by a podiatrist before the problem becomes worse. A few key things to look out for are:
- Do they trip more regularly than children their age?
- Are their knees bruised and battered?
- When running and playing with other children of similar ages are the able to keep up?
- Has there been any developmental issues, physically or intellectually?
- Do they complain of pain and is there any pattern to their pain?
Do not fall into the common trap of being told “It’s just growing pains” , children should not have pain. If you are concerned, a podiatrist’s consultation fee is a small price to pay for peace of mind.